Thursday, May 3, 2012

What is family?



Family means different things to different people.  To some people it means those whom you share a biological connection with.  To others, its the people you choose to surround yourself with, to share your life with.

I think it is both.

I have the family I was born into.  My father, mother and two sisters.  There are my best friends whom I have shared my whole life with- the ins and outs of every single little detail that has brought me to where I am today.  And now, there is the man that I will marry and hopefully, one day, the children we will have.  That will be my newest family.

When I saw the picture above complete with a father, mother and baby puppies, I couldn't help but think that those animals have the most innate understanding of what family is defined by.  Family is defined by support, kindness and generosity of care.  We could learn a lot from them.