Saturday, May 5, 2012

Marriage Advice from Others

I think I may have mentioned how now that the world knows I'm getting married I get a lot of unsolicited marriage advice.  Everywhere, Everyday, even from my termite man, which I recently reported to you.  

"Don't undercut your spouse in public (rip them up in private)" - This sage advice came from a random lady I spoke to on the phone through work today.  I've never talked to her before, and I'll probably never talk to her again.  But she was sweet and nice and made me laugh in the middle of a work day.  She told me about her failed marriage and some mistakes she made.  The biggest mistake was staying with her ex-husband as long as she had. But she was still proud of her marriage simply because it produced her daughter and thereafter, two grandsons.  

While I would never look forward to conflict or getting into an argument with N, I think she raised a great point. I'm a big joker, and it would be really easy to use N as bait for a joke here and there.  But it's not fair or nice to use those vulnerabilities against him.  

Play nice, KG.  Play nice....