Wednesday, May 23, 2012

to forgive an....ex?

I had a conversation with a girl friend about ex boyfriends.  Actually, I had two conversations today with two friends about exes.  Interesting how the thought of them creeps up from no where.  So tonight I was asked if I would want the one particular guy whom I dated a decade ago, to be happy.

Nope.

My friend told me (correctly) that I am an a-hole.  She couldn't believe it because of how much I speak about forgiveness on here.

But here's my caveat- he never asked for forgiveness.  Never.  He never regretted how mean he was to me.  How he hurt me and mistreated me.  So I still harbor resentment and anger.  Is it foolish and immature?  Sure.  But there are a few things I haven't completely let go of.  I'm a work in process- i'll get there one day.

I forgave this guy-  why?  Because he apologized via text and email several times.   He was clearly an idiot and admitted it.

I forgive my friends and family for offenses minor and major, because I love them.  And they love me. I assume I'm not alone here, but would like to hear that I'm not.