Monday, August 13, 2012

I am woman.... hear me roar!

When I was little my mom used to force me to listen to the oldies radio station- complete with 50's, 60's and 70's music. At the time, I hated it.  Now, I love all things classic rock, and have my mother to thank for it.  One of the songs that annoyed me the most was the Helen Reddy song "I am woman, hear me roar...."   Everything about the song was irksome to me.

Today, I can't help but think of another song that fits better when I think about how awesome the American women have done in the Olympics.  They are amazing.  They have won more gold medals than the men.  In general, they are impressive.  I love the team work and camaraderie I see amongst the women especially in the team sports, from Soccer, to Beach Volleyball, Indoor Volleyball, Water Polo, Track and Field... you can't win without being a selfless part of the equation.   You know what they say, "there's no "I" in tEam."

UPDATE:  US Women have won more medals than all countries in the world except four.  Now THAT is even more impressive.