Monday, August 27, 2012

Mistakes out Loud

I own my mistakes as an adult so much more so than I did when I was 20.  With each successive year I feel pride when I can admit my faults, apologize for them, and thereafter try to ensure that I don't make the same mistake again.  That is true human progress- for me anyway.

About two thousand years ago early Christians would admit their failings in a public setting.  That was how they confessed their sins.  I suppose their community would help them to make sure they didn't commit the same sins again.  In a sense, I think that is why I admit my shortcomings when they come up.

This gentleman wrote a blog post about his mistakes.    I think it's pretty impressive to admit mistakes in such a public setting.  Good for him.

What do you think about this?  Do you need to share your faults, failings, sins, etc?  Does it make you feel better or worse?  How is this received from the folks you share with?