Thursday, August 30, 2012

Today is Awesome!

I met my friend Allie during freshman year of college.  We were partying so it was just a brief introduction but something about her stuck with me.  The next fall, we happened to rush the same sorority (recall, I don't believe in luck/coincidence), and the rest was history.  We became insta-friends, roommates, study buddies, work-out buddies, drinking buddies, secret keepers...etc.  You name it, we did it.  We had fun the whole damn time.  There is nothing like an Allie laugh fest.  I always leave her feeling like I had an ab workout from all the non-stop laughing.  
(Allie Carroll, photo credit)

Allie is one of those friends who knows me so well. She's been through a lot with me as we grew older and more mature (for the most part).  She sent me flowers when I had to put my childhood pet down.  She helped me get back on my feet after my first horrible breakup with what I thought was the love of my life.  She'll come running if I need her, and vice versa.  She's a great life-long friend.  

That being the case, I saw the below post from Allie on FB this morning and it resonated with me. It made me want to find her and give her a hug. 

"Over the past few weeks I have been feeling down about the general attitude most DC/Metro area people send out to into this wonderful world. Between doors closing in my face, friendly hello's met with blank stares, and grumpiness winning out even over apathy, it started to become more than I could handle. I too felt the tight squeeze of jaded emotions start to take hold and had the scowl to prove it. That is when it happened, (see photo Allie took this morning above) an unexpected delight waiting for me on the morning commute! Let's all remember that even though we may just be "going through the motions" it is important to observe and notice the people and small surprises that are among us! This morning helped me to remember to keep moving forward with a sense of humor and a smile. Hope you are doing the same."

A shout out to my old friend Allie C-  you always leave me with a laugh and a smile stretching across my face.  Keep looking for the bright side of the situation, and I will too.  

Mucho Smoocho,
KG