Thursday, August 2, 2012

Why I don't talk about my wedding

Holy Moley.  I think I was born with some lady genes missing.

I'm getting married, which is wonderful and exciting.  I absolutely want to be married to N, but I am not interested (nor have I ever been) in the wedding itself.  This is confounding to most people, especially other women.  I wasn't the type of girl who planned a wedding when I was little.  I wasn't even sure I'd ever get married.

There are many reasons why I don't want to talk about my plans.  The first is that people have opinions.  You know what they say about opinions?  They are like a$$holes, everyone has one.  I realize that most people aim to keep their opinions to themselves. But they don't. Most often, a slight hesitation is all that I need to see before I get offended and assume that someone thinks my taste in ....anything is awful, wrong, uninspired, etc.  Plus, everyone wants to know about the dress.  I'm tempted to roll up in a red taffeta dress with sequins just to shock them all (or spite them).

Another reason I don't like to talk about my wedding is that I never wanted to have a big huge wedding ordeal.  I wanted N and I to have an intimate exchange of vows between us in front of God and the people we care about the most.  That isn't an option for me.  I hate being the center of attention, and always have.  But I'll be walking down an aisle in front of 300+ people.  I'm not really looking forward to that.

I would rather make all my selections and then show people what I have chosen, if I chose to show them.  Weird?  Probably.  True?  Yes.  Do I mean to offend anyone?  No!

What now?  Do I apologize for feeling the way I do, or change?  I don't think so.  I'll try to be nicer, but I'm in a place where it doesn't seem as easy to be nice about something that annoys me so much.