Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Unhappy at work?

I don't think it's any secret that I've been pretty unhappy at work for a long time.  A long long time. Over a year.  When I come to think about it, my job is never what I envisioned I would make a career out of.  But here I am.

An opportunity came up for me to move to where N lives, and one of the reasons I decided to relent was because I wanted the change of pace.  I almost needed an excuse to force me to challenge myself.  If I didn't have that nudge I may be stuck in a job that I'm good at, but not very happy with for who knows how much longer.


I'm scared about the unknown coming around the bend for me, but excited too.  It was so interesting that I read this article last week - very timely.  The gist of the article is if you are unhappy at work you should do one of the three:

1. IF YOU DON’T LIKE YOUR JOB, CHANGE IT!
2. IF YOU CAN’T CHANGE YOUR JOB, CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE
3. KEEP YOUR DREAMS ALIVE

It looks like I was better about #1 and #3 - but maybe it was too little too late.  Maybe I should have focused more on #2 when things got rough.  The most interesting thing about this is now that I have a new game plan for my future, work has taken a surprising turn for the best!