Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pain Inflicted Upon Ourselves

Being hard on yourself is unproductive long term.  There are so many other external factors out there in the world providing us with other reasons to be upset.  But most of us do it anyway.   I know I have, and I've done it for years for many different reasons.  When I was a kid, I didn't have coping mechanisms to deal with how  hard I was on myself, which meant I had to get my frustration and pain out.  The only way that made sense was by trying to physically hurt myself.

It makes me sad to read about all the children that inflict harm upon themselves.  They do it because they are hurt or afraid.  They do it because they feel like they have no other option and they need to feel relief.  It's an epidemic.  I completely understand where kids are coming from.  At least there is more visibility now to help the problem.

"One in 12 young people, mostly girls, engage in self-harming such as cutting, burning or taking life-threatening risks and around 10 percent of these continue to deliberately harm themselves into young adulthood."


This is the same demographic that goes on to commit suicide if they don't get help.  There isn't a lot I can do as an individual, but perhaps it we are exposed to the dangers that are out there, we can keep the information in the back of our minds .  Then maybe we can help if the situation arises.