Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Roots

I have the privledge of being a part of a rich legacy of Greek ancestors.  Three of my four grand parents were born here in the US.  My great grandparents came here around 1914- almost 100 years ago.  I have a great grand father who fought in World War I, a grand father who fought in World War II and a father that fought in the Vietnam War for our country.  The ladies of my family have always been committed to helping those less fortunate.  They are known for their charity work.  Honor and generosity run in the genes.

In short, I'm proud to be a part of my family.

Last night my father was telling me about his father's family.  They are from the island of Cephalonia -he hasn't been back in almost thirty years.  He brought out these hand drawn family trees to describe who our family is.  I was mystified.  Sailors who fell overboard never to be seen again, a Priest who liked ladies more than he liked being a Priest, and lots of people with the same names.  There's a lot of intrigue when you start digging into a few centuries worth of history.  I loved it.  Knowing where I come from makes me a better person.