Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Growing Up

this was june of this year, and she already
looks older than this
My niece is 16 years younger than I am.  Actually, 16 and a half years.  I've helped raised her.  I'm her god mother.  I'd do anything for her- she' a part of me.

Now that she is 14 and a half going on 24 I feel the need to be present and available to help provide instruction, support and love when necessary.  Then again, she thinks she needs my help less than she ever did.  Talk about a conundrum.

The best part of her going through her teen angst with her is that I remember so vividly how awful it was for me.  I try to give her first hand accounts of why following in my footsteps is a mistake.  She may never listen, but I know one thing for sure-  I am damn glad I grew up and I'm not stuck in that morass any more.