Thursday, April 12, 2012

Beauty Tribulations

I like to watch TV to escape from my every day worries.  I know I'm not the only one.  My mom does too.  Often, we'll catch up and discuss what new shows we've watched.  We are both fans of a new Ashley Judd show, "mission."  It's great.  Action. Adventure.  We discussed how awesome it was last week.

A few days passed, and then I saw this article about the very thing my mom and I just discussed a few weeks earlier.  "Why on earth was the lovely Ashley Judd's face puffy?"   After reading the article, I realized that, I too had fallen into the very trap Judd discussed- that women instigate this attitude regarding what truly is beautiful.

"That the conversation about my face was initially promulgated largely by women is a sad and disturbing fact."

Judd was puffy because of steroids she had to take -not because of plastic surgery.  But her puffy face is all anyone could talk about.  There was speculation about how and why she got the surgery.  No one considered there was an alternative reason.  That is wrong.  Don't we have bigger fish to fry than to worry about someone's face and how puffy it is?

As Judd herself explains, this incident " is about all girls and women. In fact, it’s about boys and men, too, who are equally objectified and ridiculed, according to heteronormative definitions of masculinity that deny the full and dynamic range of their personhood. It affects each and every one of us, in multiple and nefarious ways: our self-image, how we show up in our relationships and at work, our sense of our worth, value, and potential as human beings."