Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Culture Appreciation

I'm Greek-American.  Which means a lot of things to me, but one of the most important is that I have a very rich cultural identity I subscribe too.  During Easter time, our culture and religion are closely intertwined.  There are a lot of activities surrounding church services we attend, foods we make and ultimately, parties that we have there after.  During lent, we are supposed to fast, give to charities, and pray.  All of that gets you ready for the prize- Easter, which celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus- who died for our sins.

This is a beautiful church service.  This year, I was blessed to have N with me.  N (my fiance) is also Greek-American.  We have so much in common because of that.  I don't have to always give him the back story on why we do things the way we do, and what the expectations are of our families, etc.  It's just understood.  He appreciates it just as I do, and we will enrich our children's lives with those lessons too.  In our opinion, this is awesome.

What is your families culture?  Do you teach your children about it?  Do you practice these mores?  If you have never looked into them, I think you may be amazed by what you find.  Then, share your findings with the people you love.