Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy Trails

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles 


Every day I drive to work and experience the joy and wonder of viewing the monuments of Washington, DC as I enter the city.  It's an amazing thing, and something most of us Washingtonians take for granted.

A few weeks ago I was thinking about how awesome it would be if there was (in a few hundred years) something that I would have accomplished that would have warranted the building of a monument, to my awesomeness.  I'm serious.  This thought actually came into my head as I drove in to the city while the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom.

Then again, what's the point?   I wouldn't ever see it. And my children probably wouldn't either.  But there is something that I can do now, which will affect the rest of my life.  I can live and behave in my life the way I should, so that there will never be a reason that someone would remember me with ill-will.