Friday, April 20, 2012

Family

I was raised with two sisters and loving parents.  Everything wasn't always perfect all the time- but I've learned it never is for anyone.  When I was 16, my grandparents moved into our house. At that point, my big sisters were out of the house and they became my roommates.  It's 16 years later, and they are still with us at the house and I'm thrilled that I had the opportunity to get to know them so well.  It was a huge blessing.

I call my parents house, "the commune" because at some point along the way, we've ALL moved back in.  For one reason or another, my sisters and I have needed to stay there for weeks, or months, or years, and our parents always welcome us back.  This week, my parents, grandparents, sister and her two kids (four generations!) are at the commune.

Given the state of our economy, it's pretty common for all types of people, from all different stations, to embrace this kind of necessity.  When you have different generations living together, as is discussed here, there are challenges and benefits.  Old folks are living longer.  We all have less savings than we did a few years ago (don't talk to me about my 401K, ROTH IRA, and SIMPLE IRA's declined value).

"So now, the generation in the middle faces an array of financial pressures. How can they make it all work — especially in a multigenerational household? It's a juggling act that can be financially and physically draining. It can also be deeply rewarding emotionally. It is about duty, caring and joy. It's life."

Think about it.  Think about your family.  Think about the future.  What will it look like?