Friday, April 27, 2012

Broken Friendships

Have you ever had a friendship dissipate?  Wither away to nothing?  What once was laughs and fun and joy abruptly becomes distant memories.  It's happened to me, and it sucked.  Then again, I think I've done that to people too.  I just lied.  I know I've done that to people in the past.

I just read an article that absolutely hit home like a slap in the face.  The author talks about her former best friend dumped her.  She speaks about how painful it was and how it took a long 7 years for her former friend to apologize and explain what actually happened to their friendship.

I'm guessing that men don't have these mini-dramas.  If they don't like a dude, they just don't hang out with them anymore and everyone moves on.  My failed friendships felt worse than some of my failed romantic relationships.  I used to spend a lot of time investigating what I did wrong, how I may have said something, if it was really THEM that sucked, if they were jealous of something I had that they did not.....but it always came back to me assuming I sucked somehow.  It wasn't very good for my self esteem.

However, I have to tell you, a few years ago I came to a realization.  Having a few amazing and supportive friends is far more valuable than wasting my valuable energy on surface friends that don't really care about you and don't really understand who you are. The most valuable friendships I have are with girls that would do absolutely anything I asked of them, no matter what.  Seriously.  Honestly.  They love me that much. I may love them a bit more than that!

I hope you have people like this in your life.  If not, find them.  Be good friends to them.  Hopefully, they will reciprocate.