Monday, April 16, 2012

Waste

I remember dinner time at my house was always pretty fun.  There was lots of laughter.  At the end of our meal, there would inevitably be something left on someone's plate.  If my dad was around, he's say "what!?!  aren't you going to eat that?  There are starving kids in Africa who would love to eat that!" My parents were food pushers. It was sacrilege to not eat what you were offered.

These days, my sister is far more lenient with her kids.  Part of it stems from the fact that she doesn't want to over feed them- given how much of an issue kids with weight issues has become.
"Much of the world's food goes to waste — one-third, according to a 2011 United Nations estimate.  The U.S. and Europe waste about 10 times as much food per person as sub-Saharan Africa or Southeast Asia, that report found. In the developing world, storage problems are the main culprit. But in developed countries, consumers throw out lots of food that is still perfectly edible.

The other day I was reading an article on food waste and I was immediately saddened. I'm one of those people. I waste.  I waste a lot.  I know I'm not the only one but I know that I can do my best to improve.  Maybe you can too.