Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Call to prayer

This is what you hear for the call to prayer at a monastery....two pieces of wood.  After their bells were taken away from the Ottomans during wars that waged a thousand years ago, the monastics began to use a new mechanism.  They still use it today.  They used it when I was in Guatemala at the orphanage that is run by nuns, except the kids are the ones that take turns creating the beautiful music.

To play, click here:  

It's a peaceful reminder that it's time to bring yourself from what you were doing and re-focus on something far more important. Thanking God for what he has brought to your life, apologizing for your sins and asking for his assistance where you may need it.

Sometimes when I pray, I just say "thank you thank you thank you thank you" over and over again.  Other times, I just repeat "Lord have mercy, lord have mercy, lord have mercy," or in Greek "kyrie elesion, kyrie elesion", or the longer Jesus Prayer, which is "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a Sinner."

That is all, and it is a lot.  If you consider it's intentions, it is a very full prayer.

After I pray I feel warm and full.  I feel more at peace.  I feel heard and calm.  I even say these prayers as my mantra during yoga instead of the traditional yoga meditations.  It's far more meaningful to me, and I feel even more refreshed when I am stretching my muscles and appreciating the body God gave me.

Try it some time.  It certainly can't hurt.