Friday, October 26, 2012

Virginity Woes

Did anyone catch this tid bit in the news?  A girl from Brazil who is selling her virginity for $780,000?  She said she is doing it to raise money to build houses for the homeless, which is admirable.  However, raising money in such a fashion seems repugnant to me.

I'm all for charity and volunteer work.  It's a part of who I am and what I believe in.

I feel awful that this woman's first experience with something that should be beautiful is going to be meaningless and cold.

Strangely, this reminds me of my first time. I felt pushed to get it done and over with because I was almost 23.  I was in puppy love and thought it was the next appropriate step to take. I thought (stupidly) I was going to marry that silly boy.  Plus, I didn't want to be the last one left holding my "V" card.

Looking back, I'm certain N and I both feel like we wish we only ever shared our love with each other in that way.  It would be impossible to go back in time and tell myself differently- which is unfortunate.  I know my mother gave me this advice and I just didn't listen.  I thought her advice was "dated."

Live and learn.  Now I wonder what I'll tell my children when this conversation comes up.  How am I going to be able to convince them to see things from a different perspective?