Thursday, October 11, 2012

Grieving

I never know what to tell people when they suffer a loss because someone they love has passed away.  Nothing seems to be enough.  The only thing I know to say is, "I'm sorry."  It's succinct.

Yesterday I heard that the father of a gentleman I know passed away.  I don't know S very well.  We serve on a Committee together through Church that volunteers and fund raises.  He's a nice guy.  

Here is what I wrote, and his response back to me this morning:

S-
So sorry to hear about your loss.  I know words offer little consolation in times like this, but I offer my prayers.  

May his memory be eternal!

My best always,
KG
----------------------------

KG:

Words always suggest much more than they say. And I honor the deeper intention and thank you. Thanks especially for your prayers.
Means a lot.

In Christ,
S


What do you say to offer to comfort to folks when they experience a loss such as a death in their family?  In our faith, you exclaim, "May their memory be eternal!" when someone passes away.  That is what we sing, as a congregation and as a community to honor them week by week during our services, for millennia   I find solace in the prayer since I know, without a doubt, people will still be singing it in a thousand more years.