Monday, October 29, 2012

What's your umbrella ?

My friend Wendy is far more experienced in the process of grieving than I am.  She suggests this analogy for helping someone through a rough time, such as the loss of a loved one:

" 'I can't stop the rain, but I'll share my umbrella."  Your umbrella is prayer. "

That was her response to my post about what to say to someone when someone they love passes away.  I really like the analogy.  And she's right, the best I feel I have to offer is prayer.  

I think it also applies toward when folks are going through other hard times.  This is what I want to say to my best friends when they are in pain and there just isn't anything I can do.  I'll be your umbrella.  I 'll be your shoulder.  I'll be your anything you need.... just tell me.  And if you don't know what you need, just know that I love you.  I'm praying for you. Always.