Tuesday, October 16, 2012

New Friends in Unexpected Places

Back in August, I went to N's friend's wedding.  I only knew a few of his friends who were there.  In the beginning of the evening everyone offered the obligatory introduction of them self and explained how they knew the bride and groom.

We met this girl who was sitting across from us whom I was immediately drawn in by.  I probably talked to her for hours that night.  She seemed like a kindred spirit, and it felt like we both needed to have that conversation.  It felt as though both of us were going to leave that evening taking away something each of us needed.

At one point I thought to myself, "oh no, she's going to think you are weird for talking to her so much!"  That was my new friend anxiety kicking in.  At some point the thought crosses my mind that some one may be faking being nice to me and they don't really like me after all.  I think this is a hang over from high school.

By the end of the night, I can say with certainty, that I didn't annoy her too much.

I consider Wendy a friend even though I met her only once.  I keep up with her through the particularly poignant blog she writes about being a young Widow.  She's strong and inspiring.  I'm thrilled to have made her acquaintance and even more happy that I followed my hunch and got to know her better that night.