Monday, October 1, 2012

Shame on Them

A friend sent me this link in the middle of the day to ask if I had seen it yet.  The girl in the video is someone I know.  I went to middle school with her.  We were even on the same soccer team for a period of time.  I wasn't ever terribly close to her, but I know her.  That makes watching the video of her story that much more horrifying to watch.  By the middle of the video, I started tearing up.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I have known other women who have been date raped.  Whenever I heard about an unfortunate event like that, it almost always took place between people that knew one another.  Half of the time, alcohol was involved.  These aren't official statistics, rather my memory reflecting back.  Date rape happens all the time.

The reason why I'm writing this post is because women (and men) are routinely ignored when they are sexually assaulted in the military.  This is an outrage. It's wrong.  Our military is there to defend.  They should be defending their own first, and thereafter, they will be stronger.  If stronger, they are a far more superior military.