Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Racism/Hate

I was just having coffee with a friend and racism came up.  We're both white and you would think that would preclude us from experiencing it.  But it's everywhere.
The first friend I have memories of as a toddler happened to be black, not that it ever mattered to me. I've got Asian/Black/Hispanic coworkers.  I've got Asian/Black/Hispanic friends. I've dated Asian/ Black/ Hispanic guys... you name it.  Anyone who knows me knows that I will not tolerate intolerance of any sort.
A few years ago I was walking down the street near work with a woman who happens to be black and she saw someone she knew who also happened to be black.  He ignored my presence and invited her to a play called, "Why I hate White people." Seriously?
I just saw this stupidity.  This nonsense drives me crazy.  Why can't we all just get along?