Monday, March 28, 2011

Keep Growing

I heard a quote from a Bob Dylan song,  "he not busy being born is busy dying."
The idea is that if you're not busy growing, learning, changing- you're basically letting yourself whither away toward death.  And what's the point of that?  Sounds pretty boring if you ask me.  And lonely and no fun at all.
Interestingly, I hung out with my father yesterday.  It was nice to talk about life and some of my ideas.  He absolutely understands the "coincidence" concept, and even had some interesting stories from his life that elucidated the same message.   At one point during our conversation,  he said, "you know, I think I've realized that there is still so much more to learn!  I used to selfishly think I knew everything.  And now, I realize there is much more to learn."

Pops (as I fondly call my Dad) is turning 63 soon.  I've worked with him for nine years and know him like the back of my hand.  He's smart and successful. But he's also humble and very generous.  He's a good man.  But he also is stubborn and typically not a great listener.  So the fact that my dad admits he has more to learn blows my mind (in a good way!).  If Pops can do it, you can too.  Stay open minded.  You never know what you may learn next.
*Clarification:  Pops just read the post and informed me that he never said that he thought he knew it all.  He's far more humble than that.  Let's just say, he thought there was less to learn.