Sunday, March 20, 2011

Trust what you know

I've said this expression many times.  When you meditate on what it means, the concept puts you at ease.  Things become clearer.  If you focus on your history, doubting the very same thing that you know you have already succeeded at, seems fruitless. Let me give you an example.

I had to give a presentation Friday night, and I wasn't sure how many people would be there.  I knew it would be more than 20 and less than 50.  The larger the number, the more freaked out I get.  Every time I think about speaking in public I think about 6th grade.  Mrs. GT*.  Ugh.

Mrs. GT was a mirthless woman who would probably have rather gone through torture than be a teacher.  That was how she presented herself anyway.  I have a fear of speaking in public, and always have.

I was new to school that year, going through an awkward stage, and was having a rough go at acclimating to the new environment.  Mrs. GT decided that I needed some support from a smart kid and sat me next to her. That simply made me feel stupid and inadequate.  So when I had to give my first presentation, I bombed.  I freaked out.  I believe it was the worst one. Mrs. GT made me do that one over.  For the next presentation, she made me do it with a partner.  I was the only one who had to do give my presentation with a partner.  I was mortified.

Thereafter, I remember how determined I was to overcome this fear. I would line up all my stuffed animals in my room, and practice my speeches.  I got a little bit better.  As I grew older and more confidant, I knew that life wouldn't end if I messed up during a presentation.  I got a little bit better.

Flash forward to Friday night.  I started getting a little nervous.  But my best girl, S, said to me, "KG, Trust your history!  You've spoke about this topic before, you are passionate about it, you'll do great!"  She's probably never even heard me speak in public, but she didn't need to.  She knows me well enough to give me the right advice.  And she was right!  The presentation went well, and I felt like those 30 minutes went by as though it was 5.  And I probably could have spoke for at least 30 more!

*Name was abbreviated since I feel a bit guilty talking ill of the deceased.