Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy Place

I have these two friends who mystify me.  They are the type of people who are genuinely sincere people.  They are happy people.  They almost never yell, scream or lose their temper.  Nice people.  All the time (well, not every single second...but much better than average).  They both seem to be able to maintain a high level of contentedness in their lives.

One of the similar mechanisms I've noticed they both share is what we call, going to their "happy place."  This isn't an actual destination.  It's where they go in their minds to zone out for a little while.  When they go to this place, they are able to recharge their batteries.  If a situation annoys them or someone is talking about something they can't relate to or simply don't feel like participating in, they go to their happy place.   I've known both of these girls between 10-15 years so I can detect when they are there.  I don't really care, either.  I respect them for it!

They have the ability to de-stress themselves when life puts them in a position that they just don't feel comfortable in.  They do it naturally. I've tried to replicate this in my own life and find it helpful.  It's a worthwhile endeavor I think. Give it a go.  Tell me how it works out for you.