Sunday, March 27, 2011

When strangers are awesome

I ran in a mud run today with some of my friends.  It was something I wanted to do and it was on my Life List.  I'm happy I did it although there wasn't as much mud and adventure as I imagined.

More importantly, there was a better take away than the challenge of the mud and the obstacles and the running could have offered.  Somewhere in the middle of the race, an older woman was running in the opposite direction.  She stopped ahead of me and smiled broadly and started cheering for me.  A stranger. I was going slow enough to have an exchange with her.  She said, "You're looking great. Keep it up! Isn't today a gorgeous day to be out here? Would you really want to be anywhere else?"  Honestly, at that point, the only thing I could think of was, "Hawaii??  Andthankshaveaniceday!!"  And she laughed, agreed and gave me another "Keep it up!"

Wow!  That kept me going.  Inspired me.  I love when strangers make your day better.  They don't have to.  You don't have to.  But when you do, it matters!