Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trust your gut

I firmly believe that if you learn to listen to what your gut tells you, you're life will be easier.  I've gotten better at detecting a message my gut is trying to send me as I get older.

Last night, a good friend W mentioned a time when she recognized her gut shouting to her in hindsight.  On the day of her wedding, she was 22 years old and wanted to call it off.  But she didn't feel that she could because of all the money her parents had spent and the guests that had traveled for the event.  She married a man she thought she would be with forever.  And she would have, if matters weren't taken out of her control.

However, the best possible outcome of this horrible event in her life was that she had the opportunity to start fresh, and knows without a doubt that listening to her gut in the future is paramount to her happiness.

I bet that you can think back to a time in your own life when  you absolutely felt your gut warning you not to do something, or pleading with you to do something else.  I think our guts are like a muscle and the more you exercise it, the more practice you have listening to it, the stronger it gets.  Our guts are an internal mechanism devised to help us make good decisions.