Thursday, March 24, 2011

Growing up

"Between the ages of twenty and forty we are engaged in the process of discovering who we are, which involves learning the differences between accidental limitations which it is our duty to outgrow and the necessary limitations of our nature beyond which we cannot trespass with impunity"
 W.H. Auden
I'm not the same person at 30 that I was at 25 or 20. I'm happy about that.  I'm happy that I have grown and changed.  I'm happy that I've matured. And I'm really happy I don't have to re-educate myself repeatedly, although sometimes it's necessary.  This blog is a mechanism which allows me to hold myself accountable.  I'm chronicling the ideas that shape my personal vision of how my life should be.  If I ever forget a lesson, I have a post I can go back to remind myself.

That doesn't mean I won't slip a bit.  Don't we all?  When you make your next mistake, don't beat yourself up about it.  Take a step back, determine where you got off track and try to do better the next time.  Be kind to yourself.

The major take away is to try to avoid making the same errors that are "accidental errors" as is described in the quote above, and embrace the "necessary limitations."