Saturday, March 26, 2011

Helpless

I feel a little helpless today.  Duke, my beloved dog, seems to be in some pain.  I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but it seems like he's favoring his front right paw.  Or maybe it is his back right paw.  He's just not acting like himself.  Whenever I try to inspect the area he looks at me like he's thrilled I'm giving him a puppy massage.
The most frustrating thing about having pets is that they can't tell you exactly what is going on.  I know Duke well enough to know when he's happy, hungry, tired, wants attention, or has to go out.  He knows when I want him to sit, lay, roll over, get down, stop barking, and to come (most of the time).  We've developed mechanisms to communicate.
As I lamented to myself how frustrated I was that I couldn't ask him what was wrong, I felt paralyzed. I can't help as much as I want to, even when I take him to the vet. Vets, like any Doctor, don't always know how to fix the problem.
You see, Duke is my friend.  And like any friend, it's horrible to be a bystander watching your pal go through tough times.  When I see that happen, I want to push them out of the way and take over.  I stupidly and arrogantly feel like I can solve their problems for them.  It's always easier looking into someone else's problems from where you sit.  This is when I tell myself to take a step back and be patient.  Sometimes, things take a bit longer to work themselves out than I would like.