Thursday, August 11, 2011

Badge of Honor

I color my hair.  My mother colors her hair.  My grandmother colors her hair.  It's simply the family way.  While I've been blessed with other relatively minor signs of aging, the grays keep pushing their way through.  Even when my hair has just been highlighted, errant grays pop out.  I'll be driving, and if the light hits just right, i'll see them in the rear view mirror.

I don't want to highlight my hair forever.  It's a pain, and I don't like the damage it does to my curly locks.

There is a way to age gracefully and own your grays, I think.  There must be.  Stacy London, of "What not to wear" fame is a great example (see right).  I think she looks stunning with the gray coming through.  I wish society would look at the influx of gray as a badge of honor.  Better yet, I'd prefer women to be considered something sexy like "silver foxes" instead of old hags.