Friday, August 26, 2011

Marriage: Are people really doing it?

I think most of us 30 somethings are in a sad predicament. Less people are getting married, more are getting divorced, we probably won't have any money for retirement and will have to work until we're 85, it will be hard to get pregnant because increasing amounts of people are putting off having children, etc etc.


"As a whole, marriages are now at a record low, with just 52 percent of adults 18 and over saying they were joined in wedlock, compared with 57 percent in 2000, according to census data released last September. The never-married included 46.3 percent of young adults 25-34 the first time the share of never-married young adults exceeded those who were married, 44.9 percent, with the rest being divorced or widowed.
Marriages have been declining for years due to rising divorce, more unmarried couples living together and increased job prospects for women. But analysts say younger people also may now be increasingly choosing to delay marriage as they struggle to find work and resist making long-term commitments in the recent recession."

From all the articles I read, it sounds like we. are. doomed.  Ugh.  I think all the negative-nancy naysayers need to pipe down.  I'm certain, if we look at the data, we'll find the statistical analysis could potentially lead to different conclusions based on the subject demographic group, type of questions, etc.

Perhaps I live in a make believe world (in my head), but I would rather remain hopeful.  I want the option to live a life where I will get married, have kids, and retire happily at about 70 or so.  What do you think?  Am I crazy?