Sunday, August 21, 2011

Out of darkness....

I was in Maine this past long weekend with my besties (well, most of them).  It was so pleasant there.  It was wonderful to change my location for a few days.  Where DC is humid, Maine is breezy and the air feels fresh and weightless.

Waking up and going to sleep staring at the beachfront was beautiful.  It was extra serene and peaceful since the beach was private.  There was no noisy boardwalk, only thunderous waves crashing perpetually throughout the night.  I didn't need a sound machine to fall asleep because I had a real life one right through the screen door.

One night we built a fire in the fire pit and began to roast marshmallows.  As we settled around the fire, I noticed lights flickering in the near distance- again.  I saw these same roving lights nightly.  It was too close to be cars, but too far away to discern what it was.  I had some liquid courage in me and I decided to just go!  I had to finally find out what it was.

One of the girls was up for some adventure and came along.  I was afraid but excited.  I had no idea what I would find.  My heart was beating so fast! Axe murderers burying the slain? People partying on the beach?  I had no idea.   Do you know what it was ?

Fishermen.  I marched up to them and started asking about what they were catching (Stripped Bass), how big (25"), what type of bait, (sea worms).  I was ecstatic.  I've recently decided that fishing is super fun.

A picture of the beach from where the fisherman were looking back toward the house is above.  It sure does look a lot less harmful from there, no?