Monday, August 22, 2011

How to pass the time: work-life balance

I've been pushing myself to achieve in various ways most of my life.  I don't expect to be the best at everything, but I certainly don't want to be the worst.  I know what my capacity is in most areas.  But I also realize I get stuck in the trap of getting too comfortable, and then I don't challenge myself further.

Recently, I've been pushing myself so much at work, I've abandoned virtually all other pursuits in my life.  The besties are concerned.  I appreciate  and agree with their sentiments.  I would probably be even more productive at work if I was better rested.

Today, one of the girls asked me what makes me happy and what kind of hobbies I've been partaking in outside of work.  I stared at her blankly.  Fact:  If you hesitate to answer a question like that- you are probably in a bit of trouble.

It's important to take care of yourself, so I'm going to try to do that again.  I'll get back to things I enjoy like reading, writing, golfing, fishing, planning trips, gyming, volunteering, and playing with the pups.

Life always seems to go through ebbs and flows.  I have to remember to prepare for all occasions.