Sunday, May 8, 2011

Appreciate loved ones

If you are lucky enough to have someone in your life who makes it better, tell them.  Don't wait until it's too late. Don't assume they know how or why you love them.  It may have been someone from your past:  a friend, colleague, teacher, mentor or family member.

Today is Mother's day, and while I fully contend that a Hallmark Holiday is a poor excuse to remind myself to tell my mom how much I love her, I'll take my cue and run with it.

I know mom will read this post first thing in the morning, as she does every day.  Just when I assumed I had her pegged, she surprised me yet again.  I assumed she wouldn't be interested in my blog, but she's probably my most faithful reader.  She genuinely enjoys reading what I have to say.  She'll probably leave an anonymous comment below, because that's how she does!  She supports me like that every day and it means the world to me.  And that's only one of the best things about her.

When I was a teenager, I didn't understand my mother and I was certain my mother didn't understand me.  I thought there was no hope for reconciliation.  Then I went off to college and called my mom every day for four years.  After I graduated college a day hasn't passed by that I don't call my mom as I drive into work and again as I drive home.  The good stuff simply isn't as good unless I've share it with her.  And the bad stuff simply isn't as bleak if I share it with her.

At 30, I can proudly claim my mother is my best friend.  My teenage self would have been shocked! But I am so glad I was wrong about my mother.  She instructed me from long ago, "I'm your mother first and then your friend".  She was right, and I couldn't be more appreciative.  I love you, Ma!