Thursday, May 26, 2011

What Oprah taught me

I think it's a big deal that today was Oprah's last show. Whether you love her or hate her, I think it's fair to say she's been a dynamic figure in the media for the past 25 years.   As I watched the show, I enjoyed the gratitude she had for her path so far. Further, everyone has their own platform with their own audience in their lives -that is where our power lies. If we show people who we are and embrace the life that is calling us, we will be able to use our power to serve the world.

She noted she was in the world biggest classroom, and her goal was to look for the common connection amongst us.  She learned a lot from all of her guests and fans and those lessons are the anchors of her life.

If we are being honest, what she accomplished changed the world's perception of women, women of color, and of what good intentions are.  Oprah was never perfect, but I believe she always had good intentions.  Plus, she showed us that having a stellar best friend can be a crucial replacement in place of the perfect family.  And she taught us A-Ha moments.  And favorite things.  And gratitude journals.  And the challenge of not being the best version of yourself at all times.

I found it interesting she noted every day she went to work she felt she was exactly where she was supposed to be.  Oprah believes, as I do, there are no coincidences.    She has found her life to be the manifestation of grace by God. Instead of coincidences there is only divine order.  Amen. Who knew Mama O was so devout?  I think she was keeping a lid on it so she didn't scare off the pagans.