Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Glimmer of Hope

Every year, for the past few years, the same bird family builds a nest and lays some eggs in a closed-in window at work.  When it happens, I know that Spring is back again.  While I'm in meetings everyone gets distracted by the birds going back and forth horizontally across this window.  Every time the birds come in through the little opening to get to their nest, they bring something.  A twig, worm, straw.  Actually, if you look at the picture to the right, they were able to locate a cash crop of straw from an ongoing construction project next door.

When I left last Friday, the nest was about the size of a football.  When I came back on Monday, I was delightfully surprised by the massive nest which had grown 4x over.  I was impressed with their quick handiwork, and always marvel at their diligence.

I realize I'm waxing poetic- but how can I not?  Life is beautiful.  The fact that I could witness nature's brilliance in the most obscure place makes me giddy.

Appreciate the little things.