Sunday, May 1, 2011

Push Yourself

I picked up my oldest niece from a dance a few nights ago.  She's 14 and growing up faster than I care to admit.  I've helped raise her and find it hard to embrace the fact that there isn't a whole lot of protecting and shielding I can do for her any more.
I was a bit nervous about her not having any fun since she didn't really know anyone, and was prepared to go scoop her if she needed me too.  A best friend warned me not to hurry off and scoop her up if my niece got too anxious.  She instructed me to let her face the challenge, and not run away from it.
At first, I thought it was mean of her to suggest I abandon my niece when she needed me most.  But then I remembered my own experiences which proved her correct.
Had I not pushed myself to go to grad school orientation when I was so nervous (since I didn't know what I was doing, or know anyone) I never would have met CMC.  CMC was sitting next to me, and while I had promised myself that all I had to do was get there, go through the motions, and get out- I couldn't help myself.  I simply HAD to tell her how cute her handbag was.  And that was it.  Best friend for life.  I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and it was worth it. 
Similarly, in 6th grade, Ma forced me to go to Cotillion.  I was new to town, didn't know anyone and cried my eyes out.  My mother STILL made me go.  I hated her for it.  But that was really the first time I had the opportunity to meet E, my oldest and dearest friend.  Ma, I know you are reading this.  Thank you!