Saturday, May 21, 2011

Support from unexpected places

Have you ever had a conversation with someone, with the expectation that you were going to say something to help them or make them feel better, but it turned out that you were the one who received the assistance at the end of the day?  That happened to me the other day and as shocked as I was, I am so thoroughly appreciative of the turn of events.

A professional conversation led to a personal one and we spoke about private experiences that we had never shared. It turned out that we had more in common than we expected.  Most of my adult life I have purposefully kept my personal and professional life as separate as possible.  I thought that it made managing work easier.  The problem is that I alienated myself for a long time from the people that I spend the most of my life with.  I've learned the more I open up to people I trust, I feel strong.

I left work the other day feeling like I had one more person in this world that was truly on my team.  I love it when the world sends me a present that I couldn't have anticipated.  Thank you!