Monday, May 23, 2011

Who's shy? This girl

"I'm NOT shy … But I feel like I give off more confidence than I really have." -Rachel McAdams 


Shy people fear.  I believe they fear other people's judgement.  I know because I grew up shy and uncomfortable in my own skin.  As I grew up, I masked the fear I had.  I did so sufficiently enough that I was routinely told people found me to be "intimidating," and still do.  How could I be shy as well as intimidating at the same time?  Maybe I'm a good thespian.  (note: sarcasm)


Or maybe, people only saw what they wanted to see.  I maintain my fears kept me at bay from people, so they thought I believed I was "too cool for school."  Anyone who knows me knows this is not the case.  KG will never be the cool kid who goes anywhere and assumes she's better than everyone else.  In fact, I'm proudly weird and nerdy in my own way.  


Overtime, I've changed. I try to push the shyness and the fears aside. I've grown.  I've matured.  If you've known me personally for a while, I hope you see that.  


It's fair to keep in mind that we should be somewhat cautious in life.  But then again, life is a journey. If you don't take a few risks and push out of your comfort zone, you'll never know what else is out there for you to experience.