Monday, May 16, 2011

Give a little more

When I walk by a beggar, the type of person that stands at an intersection asking for money, I always freeze.  What to do? Do I give? Am I a bad person for not giving?  Will they talk to me if I do give money?  What will I say?  Should I say nothing?  Do they really need the money?  Are they sick?  Mentally ill?  A veteran? Do they need help other than money?
I realize this is ridiculous, but it's true.  My mind races through reasons not to give money, even though I have it to give.  I'm embarrassed by my inability to produce an act of charity when the need arises, but I'm working on it.

As I admit this to you, I'm thinking about all the wonderful things others do in the world with a little bit of creativity.  Panera, a successful restaurant chain came up with a mechanism to provide food with no set prices.  It's a "pay what you want" restaurant whereby, "The majority of patrons pay retail value or more. Statistics provided by Panera indicate that roughly 60 percent leave the suggested amount; 20 percent leave more; and 20 percent less. One person paid $500 for a meal, the largest single payment."
If they can do that, what can I do in my own small way?  I'm not sure yet, but I'm going to work to find something.