Friday, May 20, 2011

Chip off the old block

An eerie thing happened to me the other night.  I heard my own words repeated back to me in just the right context to remind me of who I am.  My niece, the older 14 year old one, jumped in the middle of a heated conversation between her mom and I.  She calmly pointed out that the conversation wasn't going anywhere and we should take a step away from the conversation.  When she was done with her mini-lecture I shut up immediately.  What else was there to say?

My sister and mom immediately started laughing because apparently A and I had the same annoyed and indifferent expression on our faces.  Right hand side of the lip askew.  A similar dimple on the right hand side of our faces pressed into our cheeks as we pursed our lips.  My mom said she sounded exactly like I did when I was her age.

And then I laughed.  My little home girl put me in my place.  Deservedly so.  Worse, she used my own ammunition back at me.  I couldn't have been more proud :-)