Sunday, May 8, 2011

Share your knowledge

In the past I thought that I should mind my manners and not share something unless a request was made to do so.  For a long time I sat by idly- quietly.  And then, Eureka!  I realized I was making myself moderately miserable by keeping to myself.  I started sharing more about my thoughts, beliefs and more importantly, about the things I knew.  

Even something stupid like a factoid about how tall the Washington Monument is (555 feet and 5 1/8 inches) intrigued and excited my younger niece M. I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend a good amount of time with my oldest niece, A.  She's 14 going on 24.  Not because she thinks she knows everything, but because she's mature enough to ask questions, listen patiently and is always eager to learn more.  

And today, as I spent time with A I spoke to her about the earth, conservation, sustainability and why it's important.  We talked about politics and international affairs.  I taught her how to cook some new recipes and exposed her to different techniques.  She helped me do manual labor in the yard and I showed her how to take care of pruning the trees, weeding and planting.  She was thrilled.  

As long as you aren't a know-it-all and give other folks the opportunity to offer up their two cents, share your knowledge.  The world needs you to open up and offer what your education or lessons have to offer.