Monday, May 30, 2011

Thankful

I was reminded last night of the fragility of life. It's pretty typical that is where my mind goes to when I spend time with my grandparents.  They 've been married for 62 years, and my grandmother likes to brag to everyone who will listen that they've never had an argument.  She also has dementia so she'll repeat that tidbit fairly often.  I tease her that they've never had an argument because my grandfather is so sweet, he always lets her get her way.

Tonight I snuggled up with my Yiayia (grandma in greek) savoring every minute of joy.  She was talkative and engaged in the conversation. So it was a good night.  I expected she would ask the big question, and she did.  Any men?  Have you found any boys?  Don't your girlfriends know anyone?  Then she said in a moment of sheer clarity, if Kay were alive, she would have found you a husband.  Kay was my grandmother's twin sister and fellow force to be reckoned with.  I laughed so hard.  Despite my flawed attempts, my YiaYia has a goal of waiting until I get married and have some babies before she departs for her next destination.

Yiayia realizes how lucky shes and my grandfather were to find each other- the perfect fit.  Tonight she looked at my grandfather with so much love in her eyes and said, "you've given me such a wonderful life, thank you."  It was so sweet and tender. And so very sincere.

I would have imagined that there isn't much left to say to someone whom you've been married to and spent time with for over 62 years, but it's possible.  It's simple- choose wisely.  Piece of cake.  Oh, and be thankful for the precious unexpected moments, the lovely people and utter joy that's waiting around the corner.