Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fear of Dying

Lots of people are afraid of death.  I get it.  It's the unknown which is full of uncertainty.  What happens?  Do you  just....evaporate into nothing?  Is it all over?  What's the point?

I'm not afraid of death.  I don't question it and I am comfortable with what I believe will happen to me.  But I know a lot of people I care about are not in the same boat as I am.  They worry.

A fellow blogger chronicled his bout with colon cancer for over four years. He recently just passed away at 41.  His best friend posted his last entry posthumously for the blogger, Derek K. Miller, which leaves his parting words to the world and his family.  As painful as it was to die young, he optimistically noted,


"The world, indeed the whole universe, is a beautiful, astonishing, wondrous place. There is always more to find out. I don't look back and regret anything, and I hope my family can find a way to do the same."

If you are challenged by the desire to have a finite answer, Carl Jung suggests that we shouldn't be confined by what time and space provide.  Move forward to the next day as though you have time to live for centuries.  Don't look back, else you will get "stiff and die before your time."  In short, look forward to the next adventure. Then you'll truly live.