Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do people change?

"They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
 Andy Warhol

Thank you Andy Warhol!  I totally agree.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard it said, "people don't change!"  It's usually in the context of someone who is in a relationship that isn't working.  I used to agree, but that was before I knew better.


Then I learned through my own experiences that change is possible since I noticed myself changing over the years. I didn't used to like something, and then I'd try it out, and wham! I'd like it.  Or I didn't get along with someone. Then I gave them a chance, and we became friends. I realized that most of the reason why I didn't like things or didn't want to give things a try was because of my fear.  I had fear that people wouldn't like me or they may judge me, so I just didn't try.  Or it was a fear of failure.  


When I started to change my tune to embrace change, my life and outlook started to adjust as well.  That's when I knew that change was possible.  If I can do it, that means it's possible for others as well.  
There is a caveat.  The above doesn't mean all people change.  They may be capable of it, but if they aren't willing to put forth the effort and hard work, it isn't going to happen.