Thursday, May 5, 2011

Forgiveness

I think about forgiveness a lot.  I think it has the potential to lead to greater spiritual enlightenment and contentment.  My faith focuses on the importance of forgiveness and so I've made a concerted effort to investigate how I can possibly do so, especially when I'm simply not ready to let go of whatever it is that I have found so egregious.

I think the easiest thing I try to do is think about intent.   Did the person who wronged me intend on doing so?  Are they just immature, irrational, hateful, etc?  If that's the case, then I feel pity for them, and hope that they are able to grow self aware enough to move beyond their short comings.

My biggest struggle with forgivness is when I'm simply not ready to let go.  Most things that irritate/bother/aggravate me, I'm able to get over relatively quickly.  I simply apply the above mechanism regarding intent, and I move on.  But there are a few things, and one thing in particular that has happened to me that I can't let go of.  It serves me no benefit to harbor this ill will even though its fair to say that I deserve to hold onto it like a noose.

I suppose the simplest concept is to think about the wonderful possibilities of the future and try to leave the bitterness of the past where it is.  If you don't let go of what's holding you back, you may never get to where you want to go.