Tuesday, May 3, 2011

KG Gets her Groove back

I realize the title to this post is a bit misleading if you have seen the movie that it references.  Read further, and you'll see.

I started playing golf about 6 months ago on a bit of a whim.  I'd always wanted to learn but was intimidated and really didn't know where to begin.  I took lessons through the winter and started getting the hang of it.  Mostly, I loved to apply all the little things together that make up your swing, to see if I could get that little ball up in the air straight ahead of me.

I played my first round of 18 of the Spring on Friday.  It was mostly pretty bad.  I did, however, win the ladies longest drive award.  Then again, I was the only lady in the tournament :-)  I was a bit intimidated by my all-male foursome of life long players.  Plus, I stupidly hadn't been to the driving range in about 6 weeks.  Stupid.  Golf takes routine.  Practice. Habit.

Today I was back at the driving range, hitting a few balls.  I started out with a few drills.  Simply.  Enjoyed the breeze and the 70 degree weather.  It was delightful.  And then, wouldn't you know it- whoosh!  Up, up and away.  Back to nice drives.  Straight drives.  All I had to do get back to the basics, take it easy, and enjoy myself.

I immediately realized golf is a great analogy for any challenge we may experience in life.  I simply choose to acknowledge that I'll never be great at it- but if I keep practicing, I can be pretty good.  KG got her groove back.